My First Step to Motherhood

October 18, 2015

Hello blogosphere! Just a quick update on what has transpired during my absence the last few weeks!

If you have been following me or Ren on Twitter or Instagram, you already know that I underwent emergency C-section last September 27 due to low amniotic fluid. 

On the morning of September 26, I went to see my OB, Dra. Flor Nucum, with me was my latest ultrasound results.  The day before, I was already informed by the sonologist that took my ultrasound that I had low amniotic fluid levels and that I had to inform my OB as soon as possible.  During that time I really didn't understand the repercussions of my condition until my doctor told me that I was Oligohydramnios and needed to be admitted that night because I needed to undergo cesarean the next morning.

As it turns out, it was the same reason why Avery wasn't moving that much  a few days prior (read here). There was very little fluid in my placenta that it was hard for her to move around and that wasn't the worst part.  I was told that at this point, she had more chances of surviving outside than inside my womb.  You could just imagine how my world went kaput when I heard those words.

To make the long and agonizing story short, I was admitted that night and went through the operation the next day at 6:00 AM.  The day before, I was given steroid shots to help Avery's lungs open up as soon as she's out of me.  This scared me all the more.  I was praying the whole night wishing that she be safe and healthy despite the circumstance.

As soon as the anesthesia hit me, everything became hazy, but I fought it with what little energy I had left because I needed to hear my baby cry.  I needed to know she was safe.

At 6:26 AM, I heard one of the nurses announce "6:26 AM, BABY OUT" and then a loud, but very soothing sound of a baby crying.  Avery was 36 weeks, born premature via c-section at Salve Regina General Hospital. She was 2.48 kgs (5.4 lbs) and looked a lot like her father.

The only thing she got from me are my eyebrows!
Thank God that she came out as healthy as she can be despite being premature.  We were also very happy that she didn't need to be confined in a NICU.  Although, we had to leave her at the hospital for 5 more days to finish her anti-biotics.  Unfortunately, she contracted UTI due to the lack of liquids in my womb.

Today, we are on mixed feeding (breastfeed & formula) and a lot of food supplement, so we can reach the weight she should be in at this time.

Right now I am fully focused on motherhood <3 (hence the MIA status from time to time) and just very thankful that there are so many people supporting us and praying for Avery's health.
Sharing some more photos of this life changing experiece

The welcoming committee
The look of joy & relief
The best friend and her kids
My little bundle of joy!
Thank you to everyone who visited at hospital & at home.  Thank you for those who included us in their prayers.  God bless us all!


  1. Congratulations! Avery is a fighter! It is rare that a premature newborn skips the NICU. Wish you all the best! Go steady on breastfeeding, you will see the change in two months tops! xx

    1. Thank you, Kat! Just the info I wanted to hear! I'm really worried about her weight right know ;(, but I'll take your word for it and will be patient!

  2. Congratulations! Good luck to you and your hubby on the journey of parenthood and God bless you and your family! :)

    Augustin Ra |


Your comment is very much appreciated! Don't forget to leave a link to your blog so I can also check it out and share the love!

© Tick... Tock... It's Locked | Alex Carpio. Design by FCD.